torsdag den 18. juni 2009

American Pancakes - Help!

I have a problem...

I love American pancakes, preferably with chocolate chips. - most of you know that. I make them every now and then even though you cannot buy the good mix in Denmark. But I get those packages from Maggie, Kristy and other of you nice ladies where there usually is a "little" Aunt Jemima pancake mix in. This Wednesday I was making breakfast to my family, Ole was leaving for Afghanistan again and I thought I'd make a little treat with breakfast. The first ones I made looked fantastic - but already on the second batch (is that what you call it, I am lacking words) they get somewhat black. They are not terrible, but they are not great either. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. But right now, I have to clean the pan every time before making a new batch. I always cover the chocolate chips with dough so that’s not why they get all ugly.

Does anyone have some good advice for me? I may just add that I do not have one of those fancy pancake pans (the flat ones), but I should be able to make them anyway.



Other than the pancake problem (some might add, that it is a minor problem, and I tend to agree) things are great here. I am very excited to see so many of you guys this summer in Denmark. We still have some details left to figure out but all in all I think we are on track. For those of you that don't know, the currency here in Denmark is Danish Kroner. One USD is about 5,3 Danish Kroner. We do not have the Euro but most places you can pay with Euro anyway and you can pay with VISA or similar credit cards almost everywhere.
If you have any questions for your trip, please ask and I will try and help.

4 kommentarer:

Ermasmit sagde ...

HA! Love the post.

The pancakes are getting "burnt" and sticking to the pan. I believe some cooking spray ("PAM" here) will work, or even butter or oil, in between cooking the pancakes. You also might have the heat up too high. Maybe it wasn't so high on the first batch, therefore they came out perfect, but was too hot by the subsequent batches. That's all I got.

Maggie sagde ...

I agree with Smitty... turn down your burner a little and use some kind of spray or butter or oil in between each batch... batch was the perfect word, you don't give yourself enough credit.

leaner345 sagde ...

yup yups! I agree with the other Americans, good words, and turn down the heat. A medium heat works well, let the pan heat up before you start any pancakes, then see how it is with the first one. Adjust from there. Also, non-stick cooking spray works wonders!

Tina sagde ...

Thank you ladies - I usually use butter, but the heat thing must be it then - I'll go for medium heat next time...